[Mailman-Developers] Weirdness with Mailman and Apache 2.0.42?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:41:21 -0400

I just built out my new server, RH 7.3 (up-to-date), and Apache 2.0.42
with the current Mailman 2.1b-cvs.  I'm seeing a weird problem with
the "Bug in Mailman" page.  The page gets returned as Content-Type
text/plain even though it clearly prints "Content-Type: text/html"
before printing the standard error screen.

A little sluething with lynx shows that I'm seeing the MIME headers
get returned from the server like:

Server: Apache 2.0.42 (Unix)
^-------
notice this space, I believe this is what's messing up the browser's
calculation of the returned content type.

I don't understand what's going on.  With Apache 1.3.26 it all works
fine with the exact same Mailman code.  With Apache 2.0.42 (and .40) I
get the extra space.

Admittedly, I haven't dug into the Apache documentation much except to
browse through the CGI manual a bit.  Nothing jumped out at me as
being different b/w 2.0 and 1.3 for writing CGI scripts.

You folks may not have seen the problem if you never got the "We're
sorry" page.  Here's an easy way to provoke it:

- Edit $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py
- at the top of the file enter a line with "doink" on it

This'll provoke a Python SyntaxError which should be caught by
scripts/driver and printed in a nice format (if STEALTH_MODE = 0).

Can anybody verify this particular problem?  Does it ring any bells?
Is it a bug in Mailman, Python, or Apache (or somewhere else?).  I've
tried it with both lynx and Moz so I don't think it's a browser issue.

-Barry