[Mailman-Developers] 2.1b5 pipermail archives assume all posts are in list language charset?

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 22 00:35:49 2002

Ben,

> But if you click on the second post (posted in iso-2022-jp), you can see
> that the HTML specifies us-ascii as the character set:
>

> Where is pipermail getting the us-ascii from?  I assume it's from the
> list config being set to English as the default list.  But shouldn't it
> get the charset of the post from the post itself?

'Iso-2022-jp' is designated as VERBATIM_ENCODING in Defaults.py,
and vervatims are treated differently I suppose.

You will need considerable work to display iso-2022 characters
in web page which need html escaping. That's why I prefer euc-jp
as the standard charcterset for Japanese.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/