[Mailman-Developers] Alternate authentication mechanism (was ... RELEASED Mailman 2.1 beta 5)

Donal Hunt Donal.Hunt2@mail.dcu.ie
Thu Nov 21 18:10:13 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> > I'd like to see a different mechanism - when you want to change your account
> > info, Mailman would email you a URL containing a short-lived session key
> > that you could use to get to your account page. No passwords.
>
> Or, mailman can require a confirmation message, like it does for
> subscriptions.
>
> It would be good if a group could turn on encryption to encrypt the
> messages and keep them off the web.  I suppose that's a big project.

It's actually very easy to do.  I created a proof-of-concept earlier
this year by encrypting all traffic to/from my mailman lists with IBE
(Identity Based Encryption). Worked out pretty well.

I think the suggestion about a URL being mailed is far better (again a
sniffer could get the url and reset the password before the user), but
at least the password isn't readable...

Donal
DCU