[Mailman-Developers] one more personalization thought.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue Nov 19 07:12:34 2002

I had this thought tonight. Almost hate to suggest new features, barry,
but...

Since not everyone is going to personalize every message, but may well
turn on verping/personalization for ever "N" messages (that feature is
in there, right? I remember seeing it, I think, and I know we talked
about it.... Sigh, I really ought to look atht ehsource, but it's in my
other computer right now...) -- I was thinking it might be nice to be
able to create headers and footers that take advantage of
personalization but don't leave stuff around when it's not turned on.

my current footer is:

%(user_optionsurl)s

This email sent to %(user_address)s

if I turn off personalization, a number of those things don't work.
That really seems to limit the ability ot personalize part-time, which
I expect a lot of users are going to want to do as a tradeoff on
overhaead issues. So how about:

%(if_personalized)

%(user_optionsurl)s

This email sent to %(user_address)s
%(endif)
%(if_not_personalized)
generic footer
%(endif)

As I remember, some of your HTML also has something similar -- the
listinfo pages do some kind of "if digests are turned on, show this",
don't they? this is, I think, an extension of that...

anyway, just putting it forward to chew on....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek