[Mailman-Developers] thinking out loud...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri Nov 15 23:41:45 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:03:49 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 12:14 PM, Fil wrote:

>>> Or perhaps a better way would be to store messages static, meta-data
>>> in a database, and build indexes on the fly, since the messages
>>> won't change....

>> Why shouldn't the messages change? People have the right to send me
>> an email saying "please delete my name from the archives" - usually
>> it's their telephone number, or their employer's domain name ;)

> And ym answer is that you don't unpublish a newspaper. I only modify
> archives for issues of legal liability.

> your mileage may vary there...

More simply:

  Yes, you have the right to send me such a request.

  I also have the right to ignore your request.

FWLIW I don't believe in rewriting history.  For that reason and others
related to it I don't remove messages from archives, or do anything more
with X-No-Archive other than laughing while I ignore it.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?