[Mailman-Developers] CVS update

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri Nov 15 22:05:55 2002

[please keep this sort of thing on the public list -- at the very least,
it should be archived for future reference.  And I'm not the only CVS
expert who can help you out.]

On 15 November 2002, bjoernk@gmx.net said:
> Thanks, Greg. But how do I know CVS is going to checkout the right
> Mailman version? Don't I have to tell CVS my CVSROOT in order to make
> it clear that it checks out Mailman Version 2.1b4 instead of the old
> Version 2.0.x ?

CVSROOT has nothing to do with the version you're checking out.  CVSROOT
just tells CVS which repository to contact.  Supplying the -d option is
equivalent to setting CVSROOT.

As for the version to checkout: the precise rules depend on how a given
project manages releases and tags and branches and all that stuff.  Most
projects I'm familiar with, including Mailman, make the latest
development code the trunk of the CVS tree.  So when you do "checkout
mailman", you're getting the latest bleeding edge code.  You have to
take special action if you want to checkout the 2.0.x branch.

> It is a production system, so I just want to make sure everything is gonna
> be fine after that .... ;-))

With all due respect, may I suggest you become a tad more familiar with
CVS before running a CVS version of Mailman on a production server?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
A day without sunshine is like night.