[Mailman-Developers] thinking out loud...

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman@lenin.nu
Fri Nov 15 17:48:11 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:26:29AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> +1.  I wonder if you couldn't largely acheive those results by
> fronting your archive w/ squid (he says, having never set up a squid
> server).  Say your archives are always built on demand, but squid
> thinks they're static and feeds them out if they're in its cache.  To
> regen from scratch you blow away the cache and let it warm up again.

Squid probably isn't the tool to do this right.  Its a good web cache,
but its only really good at saving pages.  Literally blowing away the
squid cache is a time-consuming process.  Its designed around being
long-lived, and it usually contains in the order of a few thousand
files that need to be unlinked.  For a small cache.

Also, since to force caching of pages you'd have to force the cache to
ignore if-modified-since headers and date heders, you lose the normal
method to expire an object from the cache.

Using a database of some kind is probably a more flexible idea, and
more possible to implement sanely.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.