[Mailman-Developers] thinking out loud...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri Nov 15 17:06:17 2002

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 06:26  AM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> +1.  I wonder if you couldn't largely acheive those results by
> fronting your archive w/ squid (he says, having never set up a squid
> server).  Say your archives are always built on demand, but squid
> thinks they're static and feeds them out if they're in its cache.  To
> regen from scratch you blow away the cache and let it warm up again.

You run into the "how many things do you want to force an admin to
build, maintain and rely on"?

I won't argue against it, but it's not the way I'd take it. I'd rather
stuff things into a database and build static pages out of them as
requested. Or perhaps a better way would be to store messages static,
meta-data in a database, and build indexes on the fly, since the
messages won't change....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.