[Mailman-Developers] Reasons why personalization of the To/From are a bad idea...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed Nov 13 22:54:01 2002

On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 02:06  PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> I'd narrow that statement to: "...a Bad Idea for discussion lists."  It
> would seem to remain useful for announcement and marketing list.

true.

>> those sites would be banned (FWIW, I did end up putting IP blocks
>> against two sites, which stopped most of the noise).
>
> FWVLIW I avoid the problem (and the moderation/list load) by stripping
> those MIME parts and then silently discarding messages which are too
> short after stripping (ie nothing left after offensive payload
> removed).
> Very little gets past that.
>
> Another approach of course is to front your list with a virus stripper.

sorry, but there's the issue of solving my problem, and the bigger
issue of getting these people to fix their stupid machines. it's fairly
trivial to make that stuff a non-issue for me personally, but those
things don't do much for the larger issue of convincing people to
rmeove the viruses from their stupid computers. IP blocks are one way
of getting their attention, or at least trying, by denying them access
to something they evidently want. Which will hopefully ocnovince them
to get their act together and quit spreading viruses amongst all of
their friends and neighbors.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties
are largely ceremonial.