[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-558988 ] bad performance for big queue dirs

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:55:16 -0700

On 5/27/02 12:16 PM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

>   NB> Now the welcome messages are going out, at a rate of one
>   NB> message every 6.6 seconds.  This is on inexpensive hardware (a
>   NB> Cobalt RaQ3) but the server is otherwise idle.

> There are a lot of unknowns here though.  For example, we don't know
> if your rate limits are caused by MTA or network throttles.

If it's a cobalt, ti's probably sendmail. If it's sendmail, it's probably
the DNS-on-accept delays that sendmail has (unless you turn on
deliverymode=defer, which disables relay checks). So I'm willing to bet
there's a lot of DNS delay here.

You can get around this by setting up a special incoming port attached only
to localhost so that nobody else can use it, and then you can use the defer
mode on that port safely, and speed things up hugely.

Then you need to look at disk I/O and whether you're MTA is thrashing
because of access contention on the mqueeu directory(s). I'd put the chance
of qfile issues really low on the list of things to check here.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble. IMHO.
    (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).