[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Editability of messages

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Sun, 5 May 2002 22:27:20 -0700

At 0:46 -0400 5/6/2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>[about occasionally exhausting file descriptors...]

>    JWB> We haven't moved to either Mailman 2.1 or Exim 4 (on the
>    JWB> Mailman machine) yet.
>
>    JWB> But...we are seeing a Python-based web dynamic page server
>    JWB> (not Zope...in-house) leaving open files behind with a fairly
>    JWB> new Python.
>
>    JWB> We've temporized by having a monitor which does a suitable
>    JWB> lsof and counts the relevant open files...killing and
>    JWB> restarting that server when the count reaches 1000.
>
>    JWB> I'll pass along to the (really sharp) guy who is working on
>    JWB> that problem that you're seeing something at least vaguely
>    JWB> similar.  We've been operating on the theory that the problem
>    JWB> is in our code, but...perhaps not?
>
>Possibly not, although I don't recall seeing anything on the Python
>lists about it.

I think our problem--now seemingly solved by a change in our code--is
unrelated to the Mailman problem.  Unfortunately, I'm not the one who made
the change, and I don't know the details.

Sorry for the false alarm (or hope, whichever it was).

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA