[Mailman-Developers] install trouble

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:20:19 -0500

    RJ> Ah, I see what's going on.. configure changed between 2.0.5
    RJ> and 2.1; in 2.0.5 it just checks "other mail demon" for
    RJ> possible groups - and at the time I reviewed that, and
    RJ> realized it'd make the right choice.  in 2.1 it now checks
    RJ> "mailman other mail demon", which causes it to guess wrong,
    RJ> because while mailman is the group I want all mailman procs
    RJ> running under, sendmail runs in a different group...

Yeah, I made this change because it makes Postfix installation much
easier.  With that MTA, you want your mail programs running under
user.group mailman, so that default makes the most sense (i.e. a
simple "configure ; make install" Just Works).

Am I being too biased towards Postfix to the detriment of other MTAs?

-Barry