[Mailman-Developers] Re: [BUG] Users are created as moderated in CVS mailman

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:19:18 -0500

At 03:09 PM 3/12/02 -0800, Dan Mick wrote:

>> This is okay, but I would still much much prefer it if
>> DEFAULT_DEFAULT_MEMBER_MODERATION were just set to 0, Barry.
>
>Me too.  I don't understand changing the default to "a certainly-
>surprising behavior", even if that behavior is really really
>attractive to some admins for some lists.

I suppose I should my 2 cents that I didn't comment when the initial discussions
came up, because the people for it were really for it, and while I was against
it, it was a sort of lackluster "I really don't like that default changing, but I know
enough to flip the darn bit in my own mm_cfg file immediately."  I agree, in thinking
about it, that it's a major change from the POV of the installed user base (and, for
that matter, not entirely an expected thing from any MLM).  If it's felt we really
need to do this as a default, there needs to be a cycle of having the switch in there
the old way, with loud warnings in various places that the default will change
in a future release...