[Mailman-Developers] moderation...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:56:37 -0500

    RJ> You know, it just occured to me, that under the new model, I
    RJ> can't figure out how to let my list admins do something they
    RJ> used to be able to do...

    RJ> I have a list that's normally unmoderated, posting by
    RJ> subscriber only.  Every now and then things get too heated,
    RJ> and the list owner steps in and flips the moderate switch
    RJ> until people play nice again.  Under the new rules, to do
    RJ> that, the only way I see for him to do that is to go in and
    RJ> click "moderate" next to each of 300 names... Or he has to
    RJ> call me and I try to whip up a little python proc to run under
    RJ> withlist to flip everyone's bits...  Did I miss something?
    RJ> (Yes, I followed the discussions, but this particular regular
    RJ> even just didn't register at the time...)

That's definitely not a use case that's come up yet <wink>, so no I
don't think you've missed anything.

Let's tease out what you really want...

- Would you be happy with an emergency switch that applied to all
  postings, from members and non-members alike, even if the
  non-members are on the "accept these non-members" list?

- Should anybody's postings be able to go through without being caught
  by the emergency switch?

- Should there be a magic header that lets messages go through even
  though the switch is pulled?  Urgent: headers?

- Once the emergency switch is pulled, what should happen to postings?
  Should they just get held for approval?  Would it make any sense to
  reject or discard them?  Should that even be configurable?

Once I understand what the use cases are I can decide how hard it
would be to support this feature.

-Barry