[Mailman-Developers] Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Nick Simicich njs+mailman@scifi.squawk.com
Sat, 09 Mar 2002 19:36:08 -0500

At 12:25 AM 2002-03-09 -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>If everyone seems to want to filter them out of mailing lists, perhaps
>there's some moral in that.

I wrote a program called "demime" that lives in a pipe ahead of all my
lists.  It strips out mime, leaving plain text, removing attachments,
alternate sections and the like.  It also will remove advertising footers
that people like yahoo and Juno don't pay me to redistribute or to store in
my archives (and my own footers that people can't be persuaded to snip). :-)

There are a number of people running it - if you are interested, I suggest
you check http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html, and join the mailing list.

>I don't think, no, that HTML email is at all good.  MIME, yeah, no
>problem; there are *standards* there.  There is *no* standardized way
>to wrap an HTML email so that you can do anything intelligent with it,
>which is inherent, I think, in the (lack of) design thereof.

I agree.  Now add that to my urge not to allow people to distribute viruses
and worms via my lists and many people's inability to do anything but
sending plain text (what do you mean I didn't send plain text?  This is
plain text, it just has some different colors and fonts and stuff.  Don't
be silly.) or to tell plain text from mime, and it is essential, in my
opinion, to have some tool that can convert the user's text back to plain text.

It is written in Perl, by the way, sorry about that.  I know Perl better
than I know Python.  There are people who have been using demime for
years.  I have been using it for years.  It should *not* be used on the
address that catches bounces, but it can be used in front of your command
alias and your mailing list submission alias.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is