[Mailman-Developers] Missing footers with latest CVS

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:38:33 -0500

    Ben> This would violate RFC 1522:

    SJT> That's right.  People with broken mailers have broken
    SJT> mailers.  Make sure that things are robust for those with
    SJT> decent software, and then do what we can for the former poor
    SJT> souls.

Totally agreed.  I mean, look at me, a "dinosaur" who uses a
MIME-aware MUA in a system that was never originally designed to
support the stuff you get in email these days.  And it's mostly bug
free <wink>.  (Aside to Stephen: do you know if Kyle still handles VM
bug reports these days? ;).

The only hope we have of interoperating is to support the standards,
or at least not willfully break them <Hippocratic oath wink>.  Which
means if the charsets don't match, we can't simply tack on headers and
footers.  So we either don't add them or we add some multipart/mixed
chrome and do it in a MIME-compliant way.

I really don't want to think about PGP right now.  Mailcrypt w/GnuPG
seems to only sign or encrypt the body, and in a non-MIME way, so if
we wanted to add headers and footers it seems like we'd be safe by
wrapping the original body in multipart/mixed chrome.  Of course you'd
have to unpack the parts to verify (read) the signed (encrypted)
part.  Oh well, there's not really much more you /can/ do.

-Barry