[Mailman-Developers] Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

James J. Besemer jb@cascade-sys.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:52:57 -0800

[... I'm a man of wealth and taste...]

I recently started running a relatively small mailing list using Mailman and am
quite happy with it.  I am a proficient Python developer and the fact that Mailman
is Python-based was one reason I chose it with entheusiasm.  I hope that in my
spare time I'll be able to make some useful contributions.

Here are some of the areas I was thinking of working in.  I throw them out in case
someone else has already started or has ideas:

1. I would like to implement self.filter_prog, which I expect would be a filter on
each incoming messages.  There are some special things I can think of I'd like to
do with my list.  E.g., automatic tallying of poll results.

2. Along those lines, I would like users to be able to elect to filter out HTML
from their regular mail, in addition to digests.  Seems this should be easy.

3. Longer term, I would like the option of adding some info fields to the user
database.  E.g., I would like to store real names, addresses and phone numbers on
one of my lists.

4. It would be nice to reuse the existing list security as an umbrealla to cover
other arbitrary, list-members-only web pages.  E.g., some listers hate large
graphics attachments (and they are problematic generally).  I'd like to remove the
image from the incoming message, publish it on a secure, lister-only web page and
forward the mail with an URL substituted for the image attachment.

Having barely glanced at the code and Mailman architecture generally, these items
seem eminently doable and generally useful.  BUt maybe I'm crazy.  Don't hesitate
to be frank, as I usually don't.

Looking forward to working with you folks.

REgards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice