[Mailman-Developers] Missing footers with latest CVS

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:01:42 -0800 (PST)

>     Dan> Well, so, one of them has no charset expressed at all that I
>     Dan> can see.
>
> That means their charset is us-ascii.  Is the list set to some other
> language?  Could you please post the configuration of the list, and
> an example message without footer that was sent to the list?
>
> Basically, we need to deal with the case where a list is configured
> for something like iso-8859-2, but a user sends a message in
> iso-8859-1, or utf-8, etc.  In these cases, we can't just tack the
> footer on -- we'll get a garbage message!  We have to avoid adding
> a footer if the charsets mismatch; no other way about it.

Why a garbage message?  Why not just a (potentially) garbage footer?

>     Dan> Not really, if appropriate workaround is "ignore the incoming
>     Dan> charset and add this footer unconditionally please".
>
> But this is the worst thing you can do.  What happens when I post a
> message in UTF-8 and then a Japanese ISO-2022-JP footer gets tacked
> on?  Not good.

I'd be more concerned about what happened to the message, since it's
apparently sent in a language that can't be understood by its audience.

There's something about the fullness of charset processing that I
don't grok.  I think it has to do with design.  Are there design
notes somewhere?