[Mailman-Developers] TMDA in front of mailman-users with no check against thesubscriber list

Fil fil@rezo.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:10:58 +0200

@ J C Lawrence <claw@kanga.nu> :
> Another possible use for TMDA:
>   The rate of FAQ questions on mailman-users is high, damn near the
>   majority of the posts.  How about setting up TMDA in front of
>   mailman-users with a confirm request text that explicitly asks, HAVE
>   YOU CHECKED THE FAQ AT <URL>?

No! Be very very friendly to anyone coming to you. You can bite afterwards,
but only if they have harrassed you.

I'm copying here the comments I just sent you after testing TMDA-Mailman on
your system (thanks!) - hope you don'"t mind my copying part of your answer.

> > Fil : Otherwise this message looks quite a lot like a "mailer-daemon"
> > message, and most people will discard it.  Maybe that's wanted ;)
>
> JC Lawrence: Hehn.  true.  I'm working on the wording to be a bit more
> friendly.

Yes. By very definition this message is for newcomers: be very friendly,
very clear about your intents, and very very clear about what they should
do.

Let's try:

"""
    You have just sent a message to <address> - it has been temporariliy
    blocked.

    Please answer to this email to allow your posting to get
    through to the list (or list moderators).

    Thank you.

                                * * *

    Short explanation : in order to fight SPAM (unsollicited mail), we
        (kanga.nu) have decided that the first time someone posts a message
        to the mailing-list system, we would write back in order to confirm
        that it's a real person, not a spammer. Once you have replied to
        this email, your address will be known to us; you'll never have to
        repeat this procedure.

    A longer explanation can be found on our website at http://wwwwwwww
    with links describing : what is spam, how to fight it, and so on.

    If you wish to contact a human about this system, please write to <xxx>
    (This message has been sent by a computer without human intervention.)
"""

Having gone through all of the process, I've received 3 messages from the
system :

1) please reply
2) confirmed : you have replied
3) your message awaitrs moderator approval

I think step 2) is unnecessary in a mailing-list context.

-- Fil