[Mailman-Developers] Re: Cute TMDA use

Dan Mick Dan.Mick@sun.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:03:58 -0700

Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@sun.com> writes:
>

>>...And note that this is an argument for list-specific
>>(i.e. non-global) whitelists
>

> Which is another argument for not building this into MM until it can
> be properly addressed.
>
> With TMDA, the list admin can choose whether or not to use a per-list
> whitelist or a global whitelist, so it's not an issue.

Yeah.  It occurs to me that what we're exploring is "defenses
against different sorts of unwanted email"; in one case, the
classical spammer with a nonresponding address, "world-global"
whitelisting makes sense; in the other, "casual user of one
list broadcasting to many lists", global whitelist is not
the best answer...but it's a different problem.

Probably some combination of list-specific, server-global, and middle
ground of "list-collection-shared" whitelists would address a lot
of user's needs (so configurable is probably the right answer).
I'd argue that the default "list-specific" is the right
default, with sharing a tweakable option.

Definitely makes me that much more anxious to go explore TMDA now,
though (that, plus the fact that, as you predicted, Jason,
SpamAssassin is running out of gas and letting more and more through).