[Mailman-Developers] Re: Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:27:27 -0700

On 7/30/02 3:41 AM, "Ka-Ping Yee" <ping@zesty.ca> wrote:

>> get 50% of your addresses or 5 passes to get 80%. They still win.
>
> I think they'd hardly be able to get any.  Have you really thought about
> how hard this would be?  Why would they bother to invest the enormous
> development effort to make this work for the one or two addresses they
> *might* get, along with a large number of misread addresses?

Yes, I have. Because I've seen how the spammers have moved up the technology
curve when it suited their purposes.

You're depending on not being "the low hanging fruit", so to speak. That's
the philosophy behind "the club" for preventing car thefts. That philosophy
works only as long as your data isn't valuable enough to be worth the extra
effort. Once it does, you suddenly have a protection system that isn't
working, but you've created a false sense of security because you think it
works. That's worse than having no system, then, because you've stopped
being worried about it.

> In the image case, there is no secret.  Nobody knows how to program a
> computer to read as well as person can

Have you seen what the off the shelf OCR systems like OmniPage do these
days?

>> And I'll bet in most of those situations, you just made your web site
>> none-ADA compliant. Which means it's a no-go for a lot of sites where
>> accessibility is necessary.

> That argument is a red herring.

Not for sites requiring ADA compliance, it's not.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier.