[Mailman-Developers] Re: Cute TMDA use

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:25:08 -0700

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:55:27 -0600
Jason R Mastaler <Jason> wrote:
> barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

>> So if we /don't/ build the functionality into MM2.1 (as Chuq is so
>> sensibly arguing :) is there anything we need to do to implement the
>> whitelisting TMDA fronted MM that is being proposed here?

> I think we just need documentation.  I've only ever combined MM and
> TMDA under qmail, and it's quite easy.  Given .qmail-list which posts
> to the list, you just need to edit and add the following to the top of
> the file:

I have TMDA+Mailman (with MIME filters and other niceties) working under
Exim.  Doing the same under Postfix is a bit of a bitch due to effective
UID/GID problems for executing pipe, but can be solved with the vtable
trick detailed in the Postfix README.

If you decide _NOT_ to roll TMDA-like features into v2.1 I'll continue
with my project and should post documentation, scripts, and other
relevant bits here in the next week or so.

> Non-qmail MTAs aren't as flexible, so perhaps JC can comment on his
> experiences?

Mostly its as commented here and on the TMDA lists (macro limitations
etc).  There's a little problem with effective UID/GID for gaining
access to the Mailman config.db, but that's a trivial problem under Exim
if you follow the Exim HowTo as a base model.

> In any case, I think the necessary changes (if any) would go into TMDA
> and not MM.  So, perhaps you are done.

Yeah, plus a little plugin logic (eg web UI).

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?