[Mailman-Developers] Re: Integrating TMDA (was Re: Cute TMDA use)

JasonR.Mastaler JasonR.Mastaler
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:02:25 -0600

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> If what you say is the case -- builtin support isn't terribly useful
> without the shared whitelist -- then maybe it does make sense to
> defer until a later Mailman version.

Some users will not want to use a shared whitelist, but in my
experience, the vast majority will.  I predict that if you add the
feature without this sub-feature, it will become a nagging FAQ.

Think about a site with 1000 mailing lists.  User jdoe is subscribed
to 2 of these lists, but over time starts posting to others.  He'll
get very tired of confirming his message upwards of 998 times.  And
this assumes he only uses a single e-mail address.

It's also more difficult from a management perspective.  Instead of
having one data-store to prune, you have 1000.

I can't actually think of a good reason why you'd ever NOT want to
utilize a shared whitelist.  The goal is to keep spammers out, not to
impede legitimate senders.  In a perfect universe, you'd have a global
whitelist containing the address of every non-spammer on the planet.
:-)

--
(http://tmda.net/)