[Mailman-Developers] some help required

Del del@babel.com.au
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:10:59 +1000

Hi,

I run a web and e-mail server for a smallish non-profit association.  I host
it on a network that's owned by another third party, and since bandwidth
costs are fairly high in Australia we have to be fairly careful about how
we use our mailing lists.

So far we've been using Mailman which appears to work fine and does nearly
everything we want it to do, with the following exceptions:

-  We really need it to drop all attachments.  This is for bandwidth conservation
    purposes, and although we have a rule that nobody's allowed to send attachments
    to the mailing list (or else the network owner gets grumpy with us), people
    still do, mostly because they are stupid, or don't know that the nice invitation
    they spent hours doing in photoshop is an "attachment".

-  We would like it to put the address of the original poster at the footer
    of the message, so that people can reply back to the poster rather than the
    list if they want to (and some mail programs are dumb enough to not display
    the poster's e-mail address as part of the header display).  We have some
    of our lists set to reply to sender, but some are set to reply to list, so
    we want to give people both options.  This is a feature that we used to have
    in majordomo, but maintaining majordomo lists was a lot more complicated
    than mailman with it's nice web interface and all.

However, getting this done requires knowing python, and none of us know it.
I have bashed my head against it a bit but it's another programming language
as far as I'm concerned and I'm not all that good at that kind of stuff.

Is it possible that someone on the mailman dev team could do some poor souls
a favour and cut some code for us?  Either on the current version of mailman
that we're using (2.0.7) or on a later version -- I'm happy to upgrade provided
it gets us the features we want.

Thanks for any time and assistance you can provide,

--
Del