[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:42:58 -0400

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:19:19PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     JRA> No, I was talking about the domain part.
>
> Ok.
>
>     JRA> The standard is pretty clear that the LHS can have anything
>     JRA> in it you want, as long as you quote it.
>
> Yeah, but then it wouldn't /technically/ end in a dot, would it? :)
> Okay, okay, I'm being pedantic.

Usually.  In this case, you're actually incorrect, alas.  The quotation
marks are not semantically part of the address.  So it *does* end in a
dot.  (Yes, I know you were being a smart ass.)

>     >> Hmm, not a use case I've ever encountered.
>     >> "localhost.localdomain" is about as wacky as it gets.
>
>     JRA> Well, diagnosing local DNS configuration, mostly.  A name
>     JRA> that does *not* end in a dot is supposed to be an invitation
>     JRA> to apply the search list from /etc/resolv.conf.
>
>     JRA> With people having things registered like com.com and
>     JRA> edu.com, it can get a bit wacky.
>
> Ah, ok.

Actually, a "bit" might be an understatement...

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")