[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Satya satyap@satya.virtualave.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:56:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 2002 at 22:44, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>On 7/16/02 9:49 PM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

>the policies up. Unless, of course, your policy is "you're screwed if you
>post to my list, and good luck stopping the spammers". Which is,
>effectively, what "make the owner of the mailbox handle it" does as a
>policy. Although I doubt you'd phrase it quite that way...

I wouldn't, but that would be my policy, yes. OTOH, no one pays me to
run mailing lists.

Again, it's the same thing: have the mechanism (I'm not even sure
*which* mechanism(s) you're talking about now), let $foo decide the
policy, where $foo iterates over the list of users.

Of course, that causes one person's miscalculation to be another
person's (times n) headache. Networks are like that.

>>> But I'm not bitter.
>> Naw.  Not at all.

I see no "bitter" here.

>Heh. Wanna guarantee messages get bounced all over the place? Just use the
>"V" word in an email. You know which one I mean. You'll set off alarms all

"virus"? Something else? VD? What?

>over the universe. It's more fun than running through a parking lot seeing

Oooh, cool!

>I love to say "if all you have his a hammer, everything is a nail". In this
>case, email is our hammer, and mail lists aren't always appropriate for
>hammering, but have you seen what those idiots did to our screwdriver? I
>ain't picking that up, not without tongs and a blowtorch.

But now they want to borrow the hammer, too.

(Insert Picard's speech about drawing the line here.)

>> My sister runs a page that's always in the top 3 on Google in her
>> *One* piece of spam.
>I am amazed.

So am I. I mean, *one*?

--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
Could you continue your petty bickering ? I find it most intriguing.