[Mailman-Developers] Re: multiple addresses in (was AOL and odd) Reply-to

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:57:44 -0700

On 7/16/02 10:36 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw@kanga.nu> wrote:

> Nick Simicich <njs@scifi.squawk.com> asserts that AOL will silently
> discard mail which lists multiple addresses in Reply-To:, one of which
> matches From: and is an AOL address.  Later in that thread:

AOL silently blackholes stuff that trips its spam filters.

I can easily see, given the recent spate of spam with forged headers to look
like it's coming FROM someone (or you) @ your domain to someone (or you) @
your domain, that comes from off-site, that AOL has decided that anything
that looks to be from an AOL account but coming from outside the AOL
universe is probably spam. Because, probably, it is.

It's basically hit a point where it's unsafe to accept mail "from" your
domain unless it's explicitly coming from a trusted SMTP source. And yes,
that screws over someone (like me) who owns a domain on a box somewhere, and
who goes on the road and uses a dialup like earthlink and wants to continue
using his real domain in his email. But the spammers are now exploiting
that, so you're going to see everyone lock it down tight, both on the
receiving side, and (with responsible ISPs) the sending side (by limiting
what domain names they'll propogate outward)

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble. IMHO.
    (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).