[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:18:11 -0700

On 7/16/02 9:36 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw@kanga.nu> wrote:

> You realise that subscribed robots on lists are going to be the next
> SPAMmer trick?  Of course they're easily defeated with an enforced
> moderated first post, but 'net-wide that's going to be a painful
> evolution.

That's the least of my worries, actually. And people have been spamming
yahoogroups for months with variations. And now they're spamming yahoogroups
by uploading spam to the upload areas instead...

My worry is other robots, but I'd rather not give anyone ideas in public.
This hack is easily stopped.

> Should work fairly well, especially for those cases where the
> authentication data is not local.

Which would, actually, allow a user to generate an authentication via a web
site that stores into a MySQL database, allowing you to extend TMDA to use a
clickurl instead of a reply token thingie. I wonder when the spambots will
start scripting TMDA? It'd require bulletproof or temporary/disposable
return addresses, but... Hmm. Can you predict TMDA's response for scripting?

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?