[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:09:08 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:11:31 -0400
Phil Barnett <philb@philb.us> wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 13:58, Chuq Von Rospach wrote: It's a
> thoughtful post, and includes many of the things I've been
> contemplating myself, but I just had one thing to add about the list
> management software becoming the arbiter of replies.

>> Are we hitting a point where mail list servers have to act as blind
>> front ends for all of the subscribers, where replies are processed by
>> those servers, and the server then takes on the job of acting as a
>> troll-exterminator and spam blocker? And what does that really mean
>> for things like Mailman?

> What would keep a spammer from using the reply mechanism to shuttle
> replies back as if they were individual replies?

Nothing.  BUT, if the addresses are date limited the number of addresses
in the valid pool is going to tend to be small (ie number of posters
within the last window).  This perforce forces SPAM harvesters to
constant updating of their lists and a resultant huge rate of bad
addresses.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?