[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:06:47 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:07:48 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/02 2:37 PM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

> One of the big things I dislike about Mhonarc is that archives are a
> rather low-usage system, but maintaining the Mhonarc index pages is
> rather intensive use of system resources.

Rather.

I've been messing with my current archive setup having the current
PHP-based pages of variable assignments post-processed into SQL INSERT
statements.  A CGI then reads the SQL DB and builds the thread tree
dynamically on display.  It works fairly well.  Not great, but it works.
Handling the thread tree elegantly when In-Reply-To and References are
bad is non-trivial.

  ObNote: cacheing the thread tree would be smart but is not that easy.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?