[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:43:43 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:58:05 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/02 12:19 PM, "John W Baxter" <jwblist@olympus.net> wrote:

> Problem is, many users don't know how. And one could argue who ought
> to solve this problem.

True.

> Should users be forced to jump through hoops to use a mail list
> safely?

Its worth noting that this problem is not unique to email or mailing
lists.  ICQ and other IM SPAM has been around a while.  Heck, there have
already been multiple attempts to SPAM Groove networks (which has a
fairly strong structural protection against such).

> Or is it the user's decision how safe to be?

Minimally its a mutually complicit relationship.  Each side has to
assume some responsibility and behave in manners which assist the other
in Doing The Right Thing (whatever that may be).

The problem is, what is the base definition of Doing The Right Thing?

> I could make a pithy comparison between spammers, computer viruses,
> AIDS and safe sex, but you'd all throw veggies at me.

I prefer eggs.

>> I think the issue is larger than just mailing lists: SMTP-based email
>> will be unusable soon.

> No, but it has to adapt and evolve. Quickly.

Yup.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?