[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Phil Barnett philb@philb.us
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:31:37 -0400

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 20:07, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> The model I'm thinking of is like many forum systems. If you're a guest=
,
> you don't get access to email info. If you're a subscriber, you log on,=
 and
> they magically appear. In the case of mailing lists, since oyu lose con=
trol
> of the e-mail address once it leaves the site again, you handle this by
> only using the remailer address in mail that leaves the site, but a
> subscriber could go to the list system and look a user up. That gets us
> away from the politics of the anonymous stuff.

It wouldn't be a bad idea, further to the above method, to have an option at
the subscriber level that always stealth's their address, even if a
subscriber logs on. That gives the ultimate protection ability as an opt-in.
If you don't opt in, other logged in subscribers see your real email address.

Even though I like replyto munging, I know you don't. That would allow you to
not replyto mung unless the user has gone totally stealth.