[Mailman-Developers] OSX installation problem - no "mailman" user

Robert Crosbie bobb+mailman-developers@redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:32:35 +0100

Alan Batie hath declared on Monday the 08 day of July 2002  :-:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 06:40:41PM -0400, Greg Westin wrote:
> > Maybe I didn't enter some necessary things in NetInfo, or
> > maybe something's not setgid'd right, or I don't know what.
>
> NetInfo is a holdover from the NextStep days and is a separate user
> database.  Most likely, the mailman user is not in the /etc/passwd file
> that mailman is looking for.

I've only had limited experience with OSX, but I also had user related issues.

/etc/passwd is apparently only used in single user mode.
In multiuser, all applications query off the lookupd daemon,
which gets its information from netinfo.

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure that the username
is _all lowercase_. I had this problem with sendmail, if you
name a user with a "short name" of "John" and tried to send a
mail to "john@domain.org" or "John@domain.org" it would bounce
with "user unknown", however changing the "short name" from
"John" to "john" made everything work, *sigh*

I'm also not sure what the differance between the "name"
and "short name" in netinfo is.  It seemed to me that
"short name" was comparable to your username and "name"
was comparable to your gecos.  I could be wrong, but,
you might try putting "mailman" in as the "short name"

Hope this helps...

- bobb