[Mailman-Developers] USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is not flexible enough

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:08:53 -0500

    JRM> For members-only lists like this one, USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER
    JRM> currently allows the admin to determine membership by
    JRM> checking either the From: header, OR the envelope sender
    JRM> address.

    JRM> I think a more flexible alternative would be to first check
    JRM> the envelope sender, and then the From: header for a match.
    JRM> In fact, this would make sense as the default setting IMHO.

When USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER was the default, it was next to useless
because it rarely matched the sender's membership address.  So that's
why it was disabled.

It probably would be best to add a method get_author() which returned
a list of (From_, From:, Sender:) for comparison, and we'd have to
evaluate each get_sender() call site to see if it was doing such a
comparison or just trying to find an address to use (in which case, I
guess you still trust From: first?).  In either case, you'd have to
change every affected call site to do an `in' test instead of an ==
test.

What do others think?  This is such an integral part of the logic that
I'm a bit wary to change it, but if we were to change things, now
would be the time.

Jason, do you think you could whip together a patch against CVS, based
on the above sketch?  If so, attach it to your feature request and
I'll take a look.

-Barry