[Mailman-Developers] MemberAdaptor.py [missing line?]

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:57:08 -0500

    DH> MemberAdaptor.py [lines 119-124]
    |     def getMemberPassword(self, member):
    |         """Return the member's password.

    |         If the member KEY/LCE is not a member of the list, raise
    |         NotAMemberError.
    |         """

    DH> should there be a "raise NotImplemented" after the
    DH> documentation stuff??  ie - is that the general rule to raise
    DH> with any method in MemberAdaptor that we don't want
    DH> implemented...

Not quite, although you're right that there should be a "raise
NotImplemented" there.  The exception is raised in the method because
MemberAdaptor.py plays the role of an abstract interface, defining
method that /must/ be overridden in derived classes.  In practice, it
probably makes little difference, but I'll add it back for cleanliness.

    DH> Currently working on the LDAP authenticator and I don't want
    DH> people to change their LDAP password with Mailman. :)

Then you should either no-op the setMemberPassword() method, or raise
a RuntimeError.  I sort of doubt that Mailman is prepared to capture
exceptions in the MemberAdaptor methods, so a no-op might be the most
expedient thing to do.

-Barry