[Mailman-Developers] bounce processing in 2.1CVS

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:29:10 -0800 (PST)

I could be high, but it looks like the sequence in Bouncer.py is:

1) are we a member?  No, return
2) do we have previous bounces?  No, register it and quit
3) is the member disabled?  yes, quit
4) is the bounce info from today?  yes, quit
5) is the info stale?  yes, clear it out
6) start looking for action

It seems like 4) is pretty procrustean.  If, for instance,
I have a wad of bounces, and decide "screw it, if they get to
one bounce, I want them gone" and change the bounce threshold,
that's not going to take effect until tomorrow.  And besides,
that seems like a useful knob to turn (i.e. "how old does the
bounce info have to be before I start looking for new ones").

I think maybe the threshold should be checked before the
'check against time', to handle changing thresholds, and
that the 'time-to-reexamine' value should be a modifiable value
(currently hardcoded 1 day).

Comments?