[Mailman-Developers] documentation for config.pck elements?

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:51:32 -0800 (PST)

>     DM> The thing we've been talking about.  The thing virtclassed in
>     DM> MemberAdaptor.py and derived/instantiated in
>     DM> OldStyleMemberships.py.  The thing that implements the
>     DM> membership-management API.
>
> Except that I think TDMA wants to be a client of MemberAdaptor, not a
> backend implementation of it, unless I'm confused.

I dunno.  The thing that occurred to me was:

TMDA could provide a TMDAMembership.py that:
1) used its own backend store for membership info, and
2) was usable directly by TMDA, either by reusing that file, or
by virtue of the fact that *IT* defines the storage format, so
other TMDA-private modules can use that same format.

i.e. config.db no longer holds the membership info; TMDA.db does.
or whatever; it's a functional interface; whatever glue works, works.

Being a client of MemberAdaptor means that TMDA would have to run
a lot of Mailman code to deal with addresses; if, instead, it were only
in charge of the plugin, then it could run even if Mailman weren't
available; the synchronization point is the datastore.