[Mailman-Developers] Re: First big Mailing

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:50:48 -0800

On 1/10/02 10:30 PM, "Marc Perkel" <marc@perkel.com> wrote:

> Python is 1.5.2.

That version's known to have some glitches.

> Actually the problem is lack of logs. Mailman appears to be frozen with python
> tasks backing up as if the mailman tasks are locking up. I'm sure it's also
> processing a lot of bounced email.

You filled up the kernel file table. Anything that writes to a file might be
hosed because of that. Barry, how careful were you to verify opens
succeeded, and what do you do if they fail? This might have been a stress
test for your error coding.... (grin)

> Could it be running into a task limit - with just being overloaded?

You're not just overloaded. Once your file table started overflowing, the
system is in an unknown and inconsistent state, and the only way to recover
semi-gracefully is a reboot, and then making sure THAT never happens again.