[Mailman-Developers] bad!

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:33:12 -0500

    F> In fact it was happening with all lists. I traced the problem
    F> to data/pending.db, which I removed, and the Mailman went on
    F> fine thereafter.  Maybe it was because this file was mistakenly
    F> with permissions root.mailman 640 ? The trace error message was
    F> not very helpful, but I'm OK now.

I'm not so sure, because your file was readable by the mailman process
and you wouldn't get a marshal error if there was a permission
problem, you'd get an IOError on the file open.

But it's definitely possible that there was a permission problem when
the file was written, although that shouldn't truncate the file.  If
there was some kind of disk problem that caused the file to get
truncated though, the save may not write the entire marshaled
dictionary, and then you could get that error when reading it back.

Watch for other disk problems on the same filesystem.

-Barry