[Mailman-Developers] New Bounce system

Dan Mick dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:56:32 -0800

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     DM> looks interesting, but a warning: when you upgrade, all your
>     DM> previous "nomails" will appear to revert to "off".  Not
>     DM> exactly what I expected.  (the value is actually "UNKNOWN",
>     DM> which still disables delivery...but it doesn't show up.)
>
> [...and later...]
>
>     DM> Actually, it was worse; the upgrade just cleared everyone's
>     DM> nomail flag (set them to "ENABLED").  D'oh!..
>
> I'm having a hard time reproducing this, so I need more information.
> Exactly how did you do the upgrade?

The standard way; config (as me) and "make install" (as root).

> Which version of Python are you
> using?

2.1.1

> Do you see any errors in logs/error that might be relevant?

Nothing easily findable, no.

> Try using bin/dumpdb on both the (old) config.db value and the (new)
> config.pck value and check attributes like `data_version', and
> `delivery_status'.

Where do I find the old and new files?...the new ones are obviously there,
but the old ones aren't saved by upgrade, are they?...it'd be nice if they
were somewhere I'm missing, because then I could manually fix the problem.
(No, I don't have backups.)

>     DM> Barry, do you plan to change the option display in the
>     DM> membership list and/or personal pages to something
>     DM> multivalued?...
>
> In the personal options page, you'll just see some prose describing
> the reason your membership has been disabled.  The user shouldn't
> care though, if they want to re-enable their membership it doesn't
> make a difference why they were disabled.

Yeah; this is mostly of interest for the admin trying to figure out what's
going on with disabling.

> I thought about it for the membership list admin pages, but I couldn't
> think of a good u/i that wouldn't clutter up that page even more.  And
> I'm not sure it's worth it.

A small string under the "nomail" box, if checked, would do it; I'm not sure it
would add a lot to the size (but might; haven't futzed with the layout).  Given
that we're already two vertical spaces because of the "realname" box, it might
fit without changing the size.

> If the admin enables, then re-disables a
> member's delivery, the flag will change from <whatever> to BYADMIN.
> This could potentially disrupt disable warning notifications, but I
> don't think its worth cluttering up that page to deal with what ought
> to be a rare occurance (and besides, I'd eventually like cron/disabled
> to handle UNKNOWN, BYADMIN, and BYUSER disables).

Yeah; one of the reasons I asked was that I'd had this problem, and initially assumed
that the value of the checkbox was not the relevant bit.  Now I realize it was relevant
that they all got reset.