[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Damien Morton dm-temp-310102@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:52:28 -0500

> From: Barry A. Warsaw

>     SJT> You aren't going to make cookies go away, because they really
>     SJT> really do constitute a service to the browsing public.
>
> I've given up on the anti-cookie rants, for the most part.  I
> still haven't given up my rage against JavaScript or Java,
> but I get derided daily by my Pythonlabs counterparts for it. :)

You could always use Basic Authentication, with authentication being
done by the cgi scripts against the membership list
(emailaddress,password) rather than the webserver. As far as I can tell,
this operates somewhat like a cookie in that identifying information is
handed to the server on every request.