[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:32:28 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 09:16:20AM -0500, Damien Morton wrote:
> Is it desireable to prevent the whole world seeing email addresses in
> mailman archives?
> If yes then
> 	should there be public and private archives, with the public
> archive protecting addresses?
> 	if yes
> 		how should the access to the private archives be
> controlled?
> 			list membership? (damien)
> 			reverse truing tests? (damien)
> 			other?
> 		what should go into the public archives?
> 			obfuscated email?
> 				email as images? (damien)
> 				text based obfuscation?
> 			links to web form email? (damien)
> 			omit email addresses entirely?
> 			other?
> 	else if no
> 		should an address protection scheme be used at all?
> 		if yes
> 			what protection scheme(s) should be used?
> 				obscured email?
> 					email as images?
> 					text based obfuscation?
> 				links to web form email? (dale)
> 				omit email addresses entirely? (dale)
> 				other?
> 		else if no
> 			talking in circles

Well, this is where I sit -- and please note that I'm discussing
*implementation of actual lists*, not *what facilities I think Mailman
should provide*; if you feel this invalidates my opinion, so be it --
and I think that characterizing it as "talking in circle" is a bit
digingenuous, at best.

Please expand.

> else if no
> 	end of conversation

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")