[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Damien Morton dm-temp-310102@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 04:46:24 -0500

> Jay R. Ashworth writes:
> Well, neither the JavaScript *nor* the picture are going to
> do me much good on the two browsers I use most often: Lynx
> 2.8.3 in a konsole window... and GoWeb 6 on my Palm/Minstrel handheld.
>
> The former may not be especially mainstream, but anyone who
> ignores the latter category (not to mention my blind friend's
> screen reader) does so at their peril.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up the case
for Lynx. Blind people I had not though about, although I had thought
about text based reverse turing tests.

I know nothing of this GoWeb 6 that you speak of, youll have to describe
it to me, but I assume its some kind of transcoding browser that doesnt
handle images very well.

So one solution would be to have both public and private archives. The
public archives have the email addresses obfuscated in some way, the
private archives would not.

List members, and those able to pass a reverse turing test, would have
access to the private archives, while the rest of the world would have
access to the public archives.

Once we are talking about both public are private archives, however, we
are probably also talking about the use of a cgi script which renders
emails on the fly, depending on some kind of authentication. A cookie,
perhaps.

Thoughts?