[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Terri Oda terri@zone12.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:58:01 -0500

At 10:47 AM 18/02/02 -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>On 2/18/02 10:37 AM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
> > You'll have to forgive me, but this sort of 'too-clever by all' solution
> > gives me hives.
>And you have to be wary of solutions that make it tough for the=
 na=EFve/novice
>net user to figure out what needs to be done. Those of us who geek tend to
>forget those that don't. And Mailman can't create systems non-geeks can't
>figure out, even if your preferred audience is geeks.

I don't know... I think rendering email addresses into pictures (say .png=20
instead of .gif, but to A. User it makes no difference as long as it's read=
=20
by the browser) is hardly something the average user can't=20
understand.  When you phone up tech support and they tell you to go to a=20
web page, it's not like the spoken link is clickable.  I'd say most people=
=20
are quite capable of reading something and typing it out manually if=20
clicking it doesn't work, otherwise there'd be no success in printing=20
addresses in print ads, on T-shirts, etc. and I know I've seen plenty of=20
lower-tech users type in urls from magazines.  Sure, it's a hoop to jump=20
through, but I wouldn't say that it's out of reach for anyone but geeks!

Of course, if you're talking about the javascript, that's something else=20
entirely.