[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:56:21 -0800

On 2/17/02 8:39 PM, "John Morton" <jwm@plain.co.nz> wrote:

> If they can set up admin specific accounts that redirect to /dev/null, then
> they can set up procmail to drop HTML mail, and say they're doing so anywhere
> they're advertising the admin email address. That would filter 90% of the
> spam they're likely to recieve for a start.

And a bunch of legitimate mail, since more and more users are using HTML,
and more and more systems are set up to send it by default. Not a solution,
unless you primarily admin to geeks.

> Something that mailman can help with, though - assistance in filtering based
> on whether the sender is joined to a list that the admin account is tied to.
> Just a simple boolean is/isn't on the list should be enough; leave the policy
> to the delivery agent/user.

And how odes that does the "I'm trying to subscribe and can't make it work!"
and "My stupid IS department changed my address again and I need help!"
problems?

--
Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/)
Will Geek for hardware.