[Mailman-Developers] Exim tweak

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Mon Dec 9 23:36:47 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:00:25PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> together.  The apparent result of this batching is that the total
> delivery time [3] for a moderation batch is now reduced by a factor of
> almost 5. [3]
>
> Not a bad side effect for a little idle poking about.

Indeed, it will increase overall throughput.
However, you are sacrificing turnaround  time to several minutes or more
as a result, and this from mere seconds with mm 2.1
(for that matter, with some of my  lists, when I save my message in vim,
by the  time I get back  to the mutt  index, the message has  been sent,
processed by the MTA, handed out  to mailman, which exploded it and sent
it back to  my mailbox, so my message  shows up in my index  in the half
second that it took mutt to come back from vim and rescan my mailbox

If you ask me, that's pretty cool :-)

Now, I'm curious:
In your case, you get bursts of messages with lots of subscribers on
your list.
How about a list server with many lists so that you always have 50 to
100 exims running and trying to clean the queue, deliver mail, or
talking to mailman...
In that case (i.e. really loaded server), I'm not convinced that
spooling everything to disk and having exim process the message on the
next queue run is going to be that much more effective. Is it?

Marc