[Mailman-Developers] not quite about mailman -- AOL data losses.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Dec 5 03:58:06 2002

not quite on topic, but for list managers....

I finally have some real numbers on AOL silently eating email. A list
member just came back from 2 weeks of vacation to find 1/3 of the
digests sent during that time missing, never delivered. And all were
accepted from my site by AOL, and I never saw any bounces.

More data here, but I've noticed the aol problems have gotten worse in
the last couple of weeks. Six or seven of my list members have
complained about missing messages, where before, I was getting one
here, one there.

ugh. AOL seems to be imploding, or something. But this isn't good.

<http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/000118.html#000118>

a semi RFE for mailman: one of my AOL users asked if we could number
messages going out. I think under some circumstances, that might not be
a bad idea. Not just for unreliable feeds, but for things like seed
lists or other lists where reliablility is crucial... But not for
2.1....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/