[Mailman-Developers] Pause or queue message delivery

Kory Wheatley wheakory@isu.edu
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:49:40 -0600

I've got a Mailman mailing list that contains 14,000 subscribers, on a
Linux box that's
using sendmail has the delivery agent that sends all of the messages to
one mail host, because all 14,000 subscribers have an email
account on our mail server. This Linux box is only used to deliver our
Mailman mailing to our Mail server which is a HPUX 11 server, using
sendmail as the routing agent.

We sent a message to the 14,000 recipient mailing list the other day and
it put the load on our Unix Box that contains our mail server to the
roof

How can I setup sendmail or Mailman to not kill the system so hard when I
send to this mailing list, can I change something in sendmail to maybe
pause or queue delivery, after a certain number of messages that have
been delivered and keep that
sequence happening, or deliver 15 at a time and then pause 40 seconds or
something,
to cause better performance. I know that when I send to the mailing
list, in our server logs sendmail creates a  envelope of 21 recipients,
is this the problem?  It's not real critical that these messages when
sent to the mailing list are received right away, so having a pause or
delay between messages is not a problem.

I've not done much configuration changes to sendmail or Mailman so, I would
appreciate any help that would allow this
delivery to allow better performance.

Kory Wheatley
Academic Computing Analyst Sr.
Phone 282-3874