[Mailman-Developers] Re: i18n support for Archiver

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:51:23 -0400

    DM> Mac doesn't support RockRidge extensions?  That would suck.
    DM> Unfortunately a lot of CDROM-burning programs "just assume"
    DM> you want the Windows-specific Joliet stuff.  :( :(

It may be that MacOS has trouble with Joliet.  That may be limited to
just OS9.  My wife was sent some image disks for her work some months
back that we couldn't read on either Linux or MacOS.  At the time we
didn't have OSX up so I couldn't check that, but the folks who sent
her the disk claimed they could read them on their Windows boxes.  I
don't have any Windows machines anymore so I couldn't verify that.

So far though, I haven't found a CDROM that I could read on Linux but
not MacOS{9,X} or vice versa.  Long file names and all.

I personally don't have much sympathy for Windows-only disks, since
it's easy enough to burn cross-platform CDROMs.
-Barry