[Mailman-Developers] Re: i18n support for Archiver

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:45:33 -0400

    >> Easier to use one of the extended CDROM formats which supports
    >> long filenames

    B> A few months ago I went through this with a customer who wanted
    B> a copy of the archives on CDROM from their list.  The extended
    B> filenames work fine under Windows, but not under the MacOS.
    B> They have a different format for their extended filenames.  The
    B> only common denominator I found was the 8.3 dos filenames.

That must have been an old version of MacOS.  I just tested a CD I
burned w/Toast using (IIRC) Mac+PC Hybrid, which is probably ISO 9660
with some fairly universal extensions (Rockridge, but not Joliet????).

In any event the long file names were easily readable under MacOS
9.2.2 and OSX 10.1.5.  Python finally abandoned 8.3 names at least a
few years ago, and I think we shouldn't go there either.

-Barry